Monday, September 1, 2008

I'm Back with Éclairs and a Brand New 6 Week Old Baby Girl! :)

Let me first say that I have never been a fan of éclairs. They were a pastry I’d always pass by in a bakery, not because there was anything bad about them, but there were always so many other things that called to me. If I found these éclairs in a bakery, things sure would be different! I shared them with various family members, and they all agreed, best éclairs ever. The one picture I got was from just before the last three disappeared. These éclairs will surely be making another appearance at my house.

Picture 032

Making the éclairs was easy and enjoyable. I started with the chocolate glaze. The recipe was rather odd, I’m not sure why it needed some chocolate sauce added to it, but hey, it worked! And my kids really loved the chocolate milk I made from the leftover sauce. I made one recipe of the pastry cream, but only added chocolate to half – I made the other half vanilla. The chocolate cream was to die for; I think it will make a great filling the next time I make a chocolate cream pie. The cream puff dough came together easily, but my piping left a bit to be desired. I had to bake the éclairs longer than the recipe said to get them golden, about 30 minutes in my oven. I didn’t think the dough puffed as much as it should, but there was enough room to fill them. There could have been more cream for filling – I’d make a recipe and a half in the future. The glaze spread onto the tops beautifully, but it took a lot longer than I expected to set.

I will definitely make these again. They were delicious, especially the ones with the chocolate filling. I’d like to try them with a coconut pastry cream, or maybe raspberry. Thanks to Tony and MeetaK for such a yummy challenge!

- Brooke

No comments: