Thursday, January 29, 2009

Chocolate Tuiles

Wow, what an experience this was!! Between getting stranded at my family's with no car, I had to do this with zero tools and minimal ingredients. Though I wasn't so successful at producing the tuiles as I had hoped, the process was still fun and the end product deeee-lish!

This month's challenge is brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angélique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux.


I chose to attempt the Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux. Can't help it, I just love chocolate! My family is really into the chocolate-banana combo, so I decided on a banana's foster type filling for the tuille.

Not having any rum, raspberry balsamic running low, I reduced Madeira wine with a bit of black pepper, allspice, brown sugar, unsalted butter, and a cinnamon stick. Then I added the sliced bananas and broiled them til caramelized.


I prepared a lite banana mousse that had a bit of lemon zest in it. Somehow, even without a candy thermometer, the chocolate for the tuiles tempered correctly, but I couldn't conceive of how to form it and remove it from the molds. After trying several times, the chocolate was running low, hence the trifle-type dessert pictured.


I'm definitely going to try this again, maybe next time with the regular tuiles instead of the chocolate.


Thanks so much for a great challenge!!!

- Cocoloco

2 comments:

Karen Baking Soda said...

I like your glasses, wonderful presentation

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much!!! Just attended a food styling class, thought I'd get a bit creative :o)