Thursday, January 29, 2009

Breaking In the New Kitchen


Hard to believe that it's been a month since our last post. Time has been whizzing by while living out of a suitcase and after 45 days I was starting to wig out just a bit. Luckily for me I was able to close on a new home just in time to make this month's challenge. I have to admit...my new kitchen is quite the enjoyable place to cook. Isn't it super cute?


Anyway back to the challenge....this month's challenge is brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angelique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux. This was a perfect challenge for one who needs an easy challenge since they don't have all their stuff yet. I happened to be looking through a Martha Stewart magazine and found a recipe for Mango Napoleons with Caramel and Cream. What a perfect way to use Tuiles eh? The only change I made to the tuile was to add cinnamon. (I know I seriously have a problem...I add it to everything...I mean everything....I even carry a little one with me in case I need to add it to something) The Tuile was great to make.....I didn't realize that it would be so fun and as I was figuring it out I had lots more ideas of how to use it. The taste was great, but it was very clear that you really need the perfect thickness to get it just right. A little hard to do freehand....but not impossible.


I then made a mint cream which is pretty self explanatory. The mango caramel was also quite simple....sugars, mango, lime juice, spices....cooked to a nice syrup with soft mango chunks. The mango filling was some mango and lime juice. Very fresh tasting and a bit tart to counteract the caramel. To assemble I layered tuile, caramel, mango and cream. I have to admit it looked pretty. I think the magic of a new kitchen helped.


According to my taste testers...it was delicious...the only thing they would change would be the mint cream. (sometimes man and boy can't see the beauty on their palate) I see their point. I wasn't too sure myself when I read the recipe, but obviously nothing hindered them from eating it. See you next month!

- amber

1 comment:

Karen Baking Soda said...

wow..that kitchen! what a great way to break it in!