First of all, this morning I started my bread just fine. I left to run a few errands as it had 3 hours to rise. Well, I'm in Arizona where the weather was a perfect 81 degrees F, but quite a bit chillier in the house with the slight breeze once my husband thoughtfully opened all the windows. Needless to say, my bread didn't rise. At that point there was no warm area in my house, so I put my bread in my warming
drawer on the proof setting. It did rise a bit, but nowhere near the 3 1/2 times it was expected to. I continued on, hoping for the best. The second rise did do much better, so again I continued on to make medium sized boules. Once I shaped them and allowed them to rise for the 2 1/2 hours needed. And once again, they didn't rise. I was completely dumbfounded. They only rose during the second rising period, so I knew I hadn't killed the yeast. Well, I stuck to it, and turned the boules onto my baking sheet. Although I was very gentle they collapsed. I've never let my bread rise upside down before, so this was a new way for me. I scored it, baked it, cooled it, and finally cut into my boule.
Although I sprayed it with water the bread didn't turn a nice golden color. Instead it stayed a pale white. The bread itself was very dense and smelt very yeasty, almost as if it had been sitting in my bread box green for over a week. Yowser, it was strong! With the aroma we (my husband and I) weren't to keen on trying it, so I just photographed it instead.
Besides the cool air of my house I have no idea what I could have done differently. I'm going to start again tomorrow, hopefully with better success. A great challenge though- always learning and moving on.
- Tina E
- Tina E