Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Danish that never was

I am sad to report that my danish never happened... and here is why:
I'm in the process of moving cross-country and had to finish my job and a major part of my dissertation before we left. However, I was really excited when I saw what this month's challenge, especially since I've never made a laminated though. So I decided to tackle it as a birthday present to myself.

I decided to make it apricot-lime, inspired by a lovely jam from the Hi-rise bakery. I thought the orange flavor would clash with the apricot-lime, so I substituted lime juice for orange juice... but then I realized that those two are far from substitutable because my lime juice (straight) was VERY acidic. I tried to fix it by adding more sugar to the dough, but alas it didn't work. My dough tasted overpoweringly lime-y and for some reason, made my fingers sting when I played with it (maybe it was the paper-cuts I had from filing last minute paperwork). To make matters worse, my Kitchen-aid mixer went crazy again, as with my cursed party cake. When I turned it on to low (or to anything), it started going faster and faster, beyond the fastest usual speed, and then would turn off. I took it as a sign that I should stop and go work or pack!

Another reason I'm sad my Danish never happened is that, between the move and some traveling we'll be doing, I will miss the July and August challenges too! I'll try my best to make it for August but I think it's unlikely... In any case, I hope everyone had fun in this challenge and the next ones and I will see you in September!

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Good luck with the cross-country move and finishing up the dissertation. That's exactly what I'll be doing soon -- I'm glad I'm not the only one!!

kellypea said...

Dissertation AND a cross country move. WOW! I'm amazed that you even thought about this challenge. Good luck to you as you take care of your giant list of things to do!

Dolores said...

Good luck with your move. We'll miss you and look forward to your return in September.

Do try the Danish pastry again when you get settled in... it's worth it!

Kelly said...

Good luck with your move and see you in September!