Monday, January 28, 2008

Lemon Meringue Love

When I saw this month’s challenge, I knew my husband would be happy. He loves lemon meringue pie, but I do not. I have never made it for him, never made it at all in fact. So, a first for me, a great dessert for him. And he loved it. I believe the exact words were “the best lemon meringue pie ever!”

BrookeW

I was a bit nervous after reading some other DBer’s comments about making the pie, but it came together pretty easily. The crust was easy to work with, although I don’t think I rolled it as thin as the recipe called for. The scraps were pretty yummy baked up into a mini apple tart, too!

BrookeW (1)

Squeezing the lemons for enough juice was the hardest part of making the filling. I wasn’t sure about tempering the egg yolks with the thick cornstarch/sugar/water mixture, but not a scrambled egg in sight! And the filling was pretty tasty, a great sweet/sour balance, I thought.

BrookeW (2)

This was my first meringue, and my egg whites behaved themselves nicely; it was like a thick marshmallow cream as I spread it over the filled crust. I decided to go with a porcupine look for the meringue. It only needed about 10 minutes in the oven before it was golden brown, glad I was watching it closely.

BrookeW (3)

The results were outstanding according to a lemon meringue pie lover, and I even thought it was pretty good. My husband loved the filling, he thought it tasted like the perfect lemonade. The crust was different than what he’d expected, closer to a shortbread than a regular pie crust, but still really good. So, second challenge completed successfully! I can’t wait to see what’s in store for next month (and neither can my husband)!

-Brooke

9 comments:

Sheltie Girl said...

You were very sweet to make a lemon meringue pie for your husband. I hope next month's challenge will be more to your liking.

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

Anonymous said...

Love those peaks :)

jasmine said...

I am so happy your dearest liked the pie--looks lovely--like a whole bunch of white kisses...

j

Dolores said...

Ah, the things we do for love. I'm glad your husband enjoyed the outcome, and you enjoyed the process of pleasing him.

Princess of the kitchen said...

Oh what a pretty wavy meringue. Well done!

Unknown said...

Brooke,

I loved the fruits of your labor on Sunday. The pictures don't do it justice. Thanks, great lemon curd by the way.

--Fr. Warren

Sandicita said...

Wow! Your pie and crust look gorgeous!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

A cute looking pie.
This was my first challenge and my daughter is already asking what the next one is!

Lis said...

My hubby said that too! heeee!

You did a fabulous job - again! :D

xoxo